<span class="highlight">Best</span> <span class="highlight">Time</span> <span class="highlight">To</span> Visit Kakadu

Submitted: Wednesday, Nov 07, 2007 at 08:44
ThreadID: 51362 Views:5133 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
The family & I are planning a trip to Queensland & The Northern Territory in late 2008 or early 2009. Can anyone tell me the best time of the year to visit Kakadu?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Doug T (Qld) - Wednesday, Nov 07, 2007 at 09:11

Wednesday, Nov 07, 2007 at 09:11
This is a good one for Steve at Top End Tours,,,,HELLO ....are you out there ...your expertise is needed.
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 270493

Reply By: Wizard1 - Wednesday, Nov 07, 2007 at 10:25

Wednesday, Nov 07, 2007 at 10:25
I lived there for a few years.

Most of the roads to the water falls like Jim Jim don't open until well after the wet is over. Some as late as May.

If you go too late you have the high humidity and all that goes wirth that during the build up.

Go too early in the year you can't get to most things because of rain, road closures and floods of the wet season. Not to mention the possibility of getting stuck some where during a flood.

I strongly suggest you don't consider a visit to Kakadu or any part of the NT before May or even June if you can manage it. If you are not acclimatised it will be even less enjoyable due to the heat and humidity before the dry season.
AnswerID: 270506

Reply By: Member - Mainey (wa) - Wednesday, Nov 07, 2007 at 11:27

Wednesday, Nov 07, 2007 at 11:27
Darren,
I stayed up there in mid September till late October 2006, unfortunately it was dry with not a lot of rain.
By that I mean all the "wetlands" were not anywhere near full (almost empty) or at their best, as you see them in the pictures in glossy magazines, I'm returning next year to get the real picture as those pics I took were of large grasslands that would have been massive lakes (billabongs) in the wet, as the high water level marks are evident everywhere.

The rivers are tidal and are not as affected by the lack of rain as they run to the ocean, but the Barra are fussy eaters and I found them to be elusive, another reason for a re-visit.

I believe the best time to visit would be at the end of the wet season to see the green grasslands and the water filled billabongs, however there may be other reasons, just as reasonable, to go at the start of the wet..?
The temperature is a constant HOT & humid
AnswerID: 270517

Follow Up By: kend88 - Wednesday, Nov 07, 2007 at 16:57

Wednesday, Nov 07, 2007 at 16:57
We were at Kakadu and Litchfield this year at the end of May and it was pretty hot and humid and a lot of areas were still closed due to the water level and crocs. This year was their highest rainfall for 30 years so we were probably a bit unlucky. Couldn't get to Jim Jim and a few others but still had a great time. I believe mid June though to August is best but everyone else is there then. We were satisfied with our time there in May.

Ken D
Bris
FollowupID: 533577

Reply By: lenni - Thursday, Nov 08, 2007 at 09:43

Thursday, Nov 08, 2007 at 09:43
Hi
We have lived in Nth Qld and Arnhemland.
The end of the year is proably the worst time to go as it is the 'build up' to the wet with huge humidity.
If is rains you wont get to see much and it is very difficult campming in that weather.
I agree with the others that anytime from May - June onwards up to August is great. September hots up again but you may be lucky.
We visited friends in the Territory a couple of years ago in October , we visited Kakadu and my daughter almost expired. You cant walk far because of the heat .Children and teenagers dont cope well with that extreme humidity and heat. The rain would help , however when the rain comes you cant get into kakadu because when it rains it really rains!
Have a great trip whenever you go . However some months ae more pleasant than others.
Regards Lenni
AnswerID: 270701

Reply By: Steve from Top End Explorer Tours - Friday, Nov 09, 2007 at 18:03

Friday, Nov 09, 2007 at 18:03
Hey Darren

Kakadu is great any time of the year, The best time for access to all the falls and other areas is between June and September, The Temp at this time is more comfortable as well.

With a bit of luck Twin Falls may be open in June next year, as they have just finished the causeway today, it is a nice flat surface and will have a depth between 800mm at the start of the season to 500mm when I drove across it this afternoon.

The Temp as I type this is a cool 42 degrees and 87 % humidity in fact today my wife and I are officially on holidays until next season.

Cheers Steve.
AnswerID: 270938

Sponsored Links